A lot of Indian dishes starts with whole spices tempered in hot oil and ends with a sprinkle of Garam Masala. Making Garam Masala at home is easy and a homemade garam masala is the key to any flavorful Indian curry.
Kankana, the wonderful author and incredibely talented photographer behind the Indian Food Blog Playful Cooking, put together this fantastic recipe for your very own homemade garam masala:
- ¼ Cumin Seeds
- ¼ Coriander Seeds
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 tablespoons Green Cardamom
- 1 Mace flower
- 3 small Bay leaf
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 to 3 Dry red chili ( I used Kashmiri dry red chili)
- 4 Star Anise
- In a pan dry roast all the spices just until you hear the sizzling sound and the aroma starts to release.
- Let the roasted whole spice cool down completely
- Then using a dry spice grinder or a coffee grinder, grind it to powdered.
- Store in your choice of air tight container or masala dubba.
Make sure to visit her original blog post to learn more about Indian spices, how to use them and what she thinks of our GitaDini Yin Yang Storage Bin Set.